Monday, October 3, 2016

Vocabulary: fall list #5

VENOMOUS: Malicious; spiteful
The way their old friend backstabbed them was so venomous he can be considered a snake.

STOLID: Having or revealing little emotion or sensibility; impassive
Military men are so disciplined, they become stolid.

HYPNOTIZED: To put into a state of hypnosis
When I saw the new Nike running shoes I was hypnotized.

SUSPENDED: To bar for a period from a privilege, office, or position, usually as a punishment
When the runner cut the course in order to win, he was suspended from racing for a year.

TRANSFORMED: to change markedly
During puberty, people are transformed physically, mentally, and spiritually.

ACCUSE: To charge with a shortcoming or error
When my sister saw that someone ate the last cookie, I was accused.

ANTICIPATE: To feel or realize beforehand; foresee
I anticipated that the runner behind me wanted to sprint past me, so I ran faster.

FRINGE: Something that resembles such a border or edging
When I pulled the curtains the fringe fell off, so then I ran and hid so that my mom wouldn't know it was me.

MELANCHOLY: Sadness or depression of the spirits; gloom
The runner felt melancholy when he found out his leg was injured badly.

EARNESTLY: In an earnest matter, being very sincere; putting forth genuine effort
When the teacher assigned the project, I earnestly tried to make it look great.

DISSOLVE: To cause to pass into solution
When I put the Alka-Seltzer in the water it dissolved.

AGGRAVATE: To make worse or more troublesome
When I found out that I lost to my main rival in the race, I got even more aggravated than I was for not finishing in the top 10.

ILLUMINATE: To provide or brighten with light
While looking for my shoe I used my dad's flashlight to illuminate the dark space under my bed.

CAPILLARY: Relating to or resembling a hair; fine and slender
The artist drew a capillary line.

PROBOSCIS: A long flexible snout or trunk, as of an elephant
While on our long run through the woods, we found a proboscis.

No comments:

Post a Comment